Storytelling Bookends



Because I believe "Reading is Fundamental" is what inspired this post... well that and a reading matter I bumped into, explaining the caveats of helping children 'want' to read for enjoyment. Surely this can't be an issue due to a lack of books.

Imagining how educators might be encouraging young minds to acquire a natural liking for reading had me thinking back on what helped every avid reader I've ever talked with, read about, or interviewed, to include myself. We all admitted to growing this reading penchant by reading 'tabooed' books. And this is not to imply that writers vamp up on the wicked writing, but rather my avow that I do not advocate censorship where it applies to reading books.

I still laugh right now thinking about me checking 'those' books out of libraries and wondering (in this day) what the librarian may have been thinking, or why I was never stopped, or at least questioned. Of course, this image came to mind after reading about another author who was doing what I was doing, only in an earlier time, except the librarian stopped her... and I think told her parents too.

Many avid readers, I'm now led to believe, were born out of Valley of the Dolls, a book at one time considered too risky for children. I never read the book but have heard from a few readers who did get their hands on their parent's copy, and graduated on with the reading from there.

At any rate, speaking of reading I must re-share a few wonderful posts that connects my thoughts on storytelling... and the type stories I enjoy.

Now, I realize I'm nearly two days late, and I guess now $2 short by sharing these Father's Day stories, but these are some true gems I found. And just to note, I understand not everyone has that wonderful fatherhood memory to recall, but also believe it is good energy to spread the love, if for no other reason than hoping it keeps other children from having to experience a difficult childhood.

I really enjoy Roland Martin's family stories and anecdotes. One of the first I caught on Twitter. But this one: 'What It Means To Be A 21st Century Dad' is really inspiring.


A cute father's day tale from the Neurosis Files: 'Like Father, Like Daughter' by June O'Hara

This was an interesting post: Where's Dad?


My Favorite Books on Fatherhood
*and this was a hard list to create... having read quite a few

The kitchen sink papers: My life as a househusband by Mike McGrady "...One word: “Awesome!""

Crawling: A Father's First Year by Elisha Cooper "...one of the bravest daddy's in the world humorously relays his first year of parenting.”

...And making no apologies by including this one. It's one of the best books on parenting I've ever read. Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern "...This hilariously upbeat memoir is solid phenomenal parenting!"

Content is very important in as far as storytelling goes. Two primary ingredients I look for are: is there a strong premise (argument); and what's the delivery like? Examples would be these recent posts I came across.

The Greatest Show on Earth......... post by bev @ blackinkpaperie.blogspot.com "Eschewed premise; timeless delivery"

Relationship advice from a divorced single mother? The three-time bride who is helping desperate women find their Mr Right by Victoria Wellman "Okay, so I'll admit it. I'm a little biased by the content!"

Interestingly enough, as I was jotting down my two primary storytelling indicators, Kiersi's 'Conflict, or Why it Matters' over @ the Prolific Novelista popped up in my viewfinder. "Readers will love this parable."

While I don't stringently follow rules when crafting stories, other than applying my two musts—too many rules can leave a writer hanging dry—it none-the-less might be worth the while for anyone interested in telling stories to take a look at this post (shared by SheWriter Tabitha Olson): The 22 rules of storytelling, according to Pixar.

Comments

Popular Posts