Meet Crime Writer, Marguerite Ashton



Author, Marguerite Ashton
Crime Writer, Co-Host 
for the Financial 
Breeze Show, 
and Founder of Criminal Lines.
I'm a very pleased to host Marguerite's online book tour for her crime novel Burned Bridges, and excited to be granted this interview. Marguerite discovered her passion for writing crime in 2002, honing her skills by entering writing competitions. However, it was through radio interviews and speaking at public schools that she found a way to educate and entertain. Couple all of this onto working with agent, Peter DeAnello of Big Fish Talent, (where she appeared in a commercial), along with participating in indie and student film projects, plus working at the Public Defender's office in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and what we have is one fiction crime writer.

Click the link to follow her book giveaway hosted through Goodreads. She's giving away 20 autographed copies. And (of course) enjoy our online Q&A chat below.
-------------------------------------------------
Interviewed by RYCJ/OEBooks Nov 2012
-------------------------------------------------
OEB: Congratulations Marguerite on your new book, Burned Bridges, released October 31 this year! I am very excited for you, to the point of having to ask, do your recall what you did, or thought, the moment you realized you had a final completed book?

MA: Thank you for having me.  When I realized I had completed my book, I screamed, "Yes."  Then  I slept for nine hours straight.



OEB: Haha, but what was 'the catalyst' that made you say, "ump! I'm going to write a novel!"

MA: Back in 2002, I had ideas in my head that I wanted to get on paper, so I started writing stories as a hobby. Not long after that I realized that I wanted more. I wanted my work to be read.  In 2009, I set out to hone my craft with the hope of writing an awesome story that would entertain my readers.



OEB: Working for the State Public Defender's Office I'm sure you can get a plot good and twisty, but what's your favorite part about writing crime stories. (Developing the plot, creating characters, or…?)

MA: My favorite part about writing crime stories is the ability to create my characters. Getting to know them and find out what makes them tick.



OEB: I'm also curious to know which 'demographic of readers' might really enjoy Burned Bridges?

MA: Burned Bridges would appeal to women eighteen and older. It speaks well to people who have faced challenges in their lives. Traci is a strong woman and her situation attracts a female audience craving mystery. I've heard from a couple of male readers and they had their favorite male characters, whom they identified with.

OEB: And how about overtones? What do you hope readers capture from reading Burning Bridges? That they close the book feeling inspired, empowered, humored, or… (please explain)?

MA: I'm hoping my readers will feel inspired. I want them to know that no matter how big the challenges are in their lives that there are people around them willing to help if they seek them out. No problem is too great.



OEB: I began reading true crime (relentlessly I must add) years ago, but never made the leap over to reading crime fiction. What's the difference between the two, other than the obvious?


MA: True crime is just that, it's factual based crime stories and crime fiction allows the author a license to create fantastic crimes but of course it still needs to be believable. 


OEB: What are the aides that really help get in the mood for writing when the energy is running low? (i.e., caffiene, a late-night jog, or maybe reading an article that inspires a thought?)

MA: I have three vices: caffeine (my favorite is pepsi with lime),  classical music, and my movie collection.



OEB: I smiled when I read you "Always Write Terrible First Drafts." Have you found one of the "4Ways to Revise as You Write" helpful? (Note: I scanned down the list and have to say I use the (number 1.) a lot. Was there one that works best for you? Or another technique you prefer?

MA: I would say that I prefer using an outline. My writing mentor showed me how to use an outline more effectively when creating my first draft. However, I still had to learn to be patient and understand that as a writer you will rewrite at LEAST five times before you can call your novel completed.



OEB: I'm, too, a huge fan of positivity, so please share a tip on what motivates you to think positive?

MA: I learned a lesson back in high school when I lost a best friend to an automobile accident. One day she was there and the next she was gone. It was that day that I realized how short life is and promised myself that I would always try to think positive and not focus on the negative.
We all have blessings, no matter how small and they can just as easily be taken away.

OEB: Loved reading your FB Wall as well, but must ask, "WoW! How do you manage so many social networks?" And which one do you like best? i.e., Pinterest, FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Blogger, Blog Radio, uTube?

MA: I must confess… I'm addicted to social networking and I love all of them. My favorites are, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+ and LinkedIn. They are a must for me with my business and was very happy when they came up with Hootsuite. It allowed me to manage at least four of them at the same time and tab through those four without closing a window.



OEB: Where can readers purchase your book? And do you have any events, videos, or book-signings scheduled where we can link up with, to connect with you?

MA: Burned Bridges is currently on Amazon only in paperback @ Amazon, or EBook.  

Also, visit Burned Bridges Book Trailer, or the author's website: MargueriteAshton.com 

On January 31, 2013 Burned Bridges will be available on Barnes and Noble, Smashwords and other sites. 

Comments

Popular Posts