This is My Story, and I’m Sticking With It


A couple of weeks back someone asked how my books were coming along. And oh by the way, quite a bit is going on behind OEBooks, but I've been directed to wait for further direction. Hopefully I haven't broken any implicit agreements by posting this post here.

At any rate, back to what I was saying, someone asked how my books were coming along, to which I gave my standard answer, "just fine." And just to further note; there are no imposed standards on me answering this question. I can answer however I please, which typically this is the way I chose to answer those who are not avid readers; actually not even average readers, much less have read any one of my books.

Now here comes the punch line… the story I'm sticking with.

My querier ß that's a new word… another way of expressing my questioner, who proceeded on, politely gleaning into what (I'm going to go on and assume) was on their mind. (And that 'their' is being used to keep this story pretty much gender neutral and my querier's identity generally undisclosed).

"See, the key is editing… your books really have to be edited," my querier went on to assert.

Right then and there the most a-durable wholesome smile crept over my face foreseeing how I could've very easily amassed exactly $11.25 had I set aside a nickel for every time I've come across someone expressing this sentimentwhether browsing the Internet, reading a blog or comment or book review, or just plain hearing someone thinking out loud such as my querier who by all great unraveling mysteries may read a book every other calendar leap year.

And I want everyone to know, I wasn't upset in the smallest increments by this remark, the reason I choose not to name my querier. Shucks, make no mistake about it, this is my Number 1 Fan in grooming, even if the assertion really did humor me, picturing how to get my arms around an echo. Sort of reminded of when I was told what would happen if I had children, how my fun would be disrupted, my opportunities retracted, and a barrage of other blue possibilities, when having children was the best thing that happened for me.

Some thingsNot ALL Thingsare best appreciated when experienced first-hand. Just don't want anyone summing up that because children were the best thing that happened for me, I've concluded this applies unilaterally across the female order. The example used only stresses the comicalness in heeding echoes as opposed to humbly absorbing the sounds.

In any case, and in short, as I've spelled this out using all the letters of the alphabet hundreds of times all over my blog, non-fictionprimarily serious non-fiction (my principle), must be rigorously edited, without argument. Creative writing, on the other hand, I uphold should be the sole creation of one visionary. Yes, the visionary should have a handle on basic grammar, writing, and storytelling chiefly, along with being able to produce a work that is as error-free, consistent, and readable as possible, because beyond a soft proof, such as a---let's say---curator might frame a painting, creative work (I decry) belongs with one creator.

Now that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  

Disclosure: I have to do a post on my now favorite word: 'everybody,' and this darn spell check correcting words I'm trying to add to the dictionary, but ignoring words 'it' knows good and well should've been spell-checked!

Comments

Popular Posts