My top 10 rewards of motherhood from a personal perspective:
* That first flutter in the pit of my stomach that told me I was going to be a mother… best feeling in the world.
* Bathing and dressing my kids (when they were small) and showing them the world.
* Inventing a schedule that allowed me to enjoy them even more...
* Knowing my kids like a book... as in…
Me: “Hun, where are the kids, did you tell them what time to be home for dinner?”
His answer: “Yes, I told them to be home for dinner.”
Me: “No, did you tell them what time?”
Him: “They know what time we normally eat.”
Me: “Yeah, but I’m telling you, I know what they are going to say soon as they get here. ...That you didn’t tell them what time.”
Him: “Aw, that’s crazy. No they won’t.”
Me: “Okay, wait and see.”
Hours later, after he and I had eaten, the kids finally bounce in the house. He is not happy.
Him: “Didn’t I tell you to be home in time for dinner?”
The Kids: “But you didn’t tell us what time...”
* Memories such as letting my kids drag me to the movies, carrying pillows into the theatre, all to avoid having to interrupt my sleep to pick them up at 2 in the morning!
* The many moments my kids made me beam. There’s not too much that beats things such as looking up at a school billboard to see show times of a play they’d written on display.
* That trip to New York. Oh, if I live to be a million I’ll always treasure that trip!
* I also get a kick out of the disparity between the way each of my kids likes/dislikes comments often made to us by others when we’re out together. Too funny.
* And I’m still holding my ballot out on this one; but I think I’m okay with my kids (today) turning the tables to take charge and take care of me.
* A lifetime of friendship; confiding in and being there for each other.
How was motherhood for you? Do you have 10 awesome treasurable moments?
Happy Mother’s Day!