Nice, Quiet, Sexy, Smart, Talented, Weird: What’s Your PI?



In the last post I promised to share some of the exciting goodness happening around me. Welp, in keeping things recent, and relevant, I must give it to 2015!

Only midway into the year and it has treated me phenomenally well. I’ve personally been pitched more stellar book synopsis, and ‘promising’ books as well, than in any previous year. I can’t thank enough the ‘too many authors to list here’ for introducing me to their books. And on top of all this gravy, I also can’t thank enough the many authors I’ve personally met... Al Hunter Jr. and Rayna Gray, whose books I’ve read, loved, and reviewed; and CP Patrick, Elaine Jones and Kamy Wicoff whose books I look forward to reading soon.

Yet.. hang on, ‘cause I’m not finished. I’m only part way into what inspired this post.

Just this week I was out looking for one thing, when what do you know happened?

Unbelievable. Totally flipped my lashes up and backwards to be gifted Marion Barry, Jr.’s memoir ‘Mayor For Life’!!!

I should’ve been rolled over and my pulse checked after a perfect stranger knowing me from neither Adam nor Eve, but hearing me mention my love for reading memoirs, handed me a copy of Mayor Barry’s book.

Rendered speechless, my immediate response was “really?” And I think I muttered a few words to effect of “oh, my God.”

But then I got to thinking...and oh, boy... cause here we go…

I got to thinking some of the thoughts people get to thinking when they hear (or see) the name of someone who has been raked over red-gray hot ass coals through medias, but does not know the individual personally.

Michael Jackson is someone who comes to mind, one of my favorite superstars who, although I never knew personally, I would argue passionately about a number of things I heard him speak on...namely his skin condition, which happened to be a discussion I was having with individuals the day before he transitioned.

For some, a day later that discussion proved haunting. “Why didn’t anyone talk about that,” someone remarked. They were speaking about the popstar’s skin condition, which really, there needn’t even be an explanation for why he worked on his physical image. Most of us, if not every-one of us has altered our birth design. From wearing make-up to body piercings and tattoos, to trimming down our noses like we trim our hair and file our nails, almost everyone I know has worked on the image they want to project.

Aesthetics, though, isn’t all we work on to bring our PI (personal image) up to public par. Think I’ve heard it all... ‘don’t write on controversial topics, or you’ll lose readers.’ It’s like that other one, ‘keep your head down,’ the equivalent of hiding behind everyone else who’s standing out. And not that I work overtime to stand out. To the contrary, I just do (be) me, one reason I’ve never caught on to, ‘rolling your emotions down to your sleeves?’

Why would a writer roll his or her emotions down to their sleeves? So it can be closer to the keyboard? I’d think it’d be better to have them emotions welled up as close as possible to the top of your head...that is, if you’re a writer.

But that’s the other thing. Our PI isn't necessarily married to vocation. In hindsight of ‘coulda, woulda, shoulda,’ when we are in the ring, and doing 'whatever' our thing, the most respected PI hands down or up, comes from the genuine version of the man or woman who was in the ring for all ten rounds.

After opening Mayor Barry’s book I cried. Yes, I did. After dipping back to what I first got to thinking, and ultimately thought remembering MJ and the hardships many endure doing those ten rounds in what may as well be boxing rings, it touched me deeply to read one little line. ‘He was going to tell his side of the story.’

Comments

Popular Posts