A Hard Act to Follow

One challenge of reading is reading a really engaging book and then, with fingers crossed, hoping the next book will top, or at least equal the reading experience. For me the challenge is quadrupled because I pine for redeemable stories... stories that have the power to give me a peace of mind.

All that exposed, because I'm always looking out for those looking for this same peace of mind, along with hoping that by putting out this good energy the favor might be returned, I pulled together a list of favorite books that not only are spirit enhancers, and thus easy to refer to as riotously entertaining, but also...and of course... were some hard acts to follow.

A Hamster is Missing in Washington, DC by Ed Spivey Jr.
Doing Germany by Agnieszka Paletta
Farewell, My Beijing by Chi Newman
Hong Konged by Paul Hanstedt
Just Waiting for the Bell by David Wehmeyer
Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern
The Kitchen Sink Papers: My Life as a Househusband by Mike McGrady
The Last Blind Date by Linda Yellin
The Lobster Chronicles by Linda Greenlaw
When We Were Colored: A Mother's Story by Eva Rutland

Also, to honor Veteran's Day I have another favorite reading list. If you truly want to thank a soldier, you'll read some of their stories. I've read many. These are the most memorable, redeeming... and deeply satisfying.

Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam by Bernard Edelman (Editor)
Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell with Patrick Robinson
On Call in Hell by Cdr. Richard Jadick
One of the Few: A Marine Fighter Pilot's Reconnaissance of the Christian Worldview by Jason B. Ladd
SitRep Negative: A Year In Vietnam by G. J. Lau
The Second Tour by Terry P. Rizzuti
Until Tuesday by Luis Carlos Montalván





Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It is Karen! One of funniest I've come across. Books like that keep me hemming and hawing about my own! :-<

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts