Women I Respect. (On a Very Personal Level)

I may have written this somewhere on my blog before, but to venerate the occasion (March is Women’s Month), I’m either repeating myself or providing an update.

There are many women I admire from afar, either through their music, stage performances, speeches, political activities, ...and especially in BOOKS. In other words, I don’t have to know you to admire you.

It’s not the light shinning over you
that I respect. 
It’s your poise. 
The way you carry yourself. 
Your attitude. Your mannerisms. 
The way you speak. 
And what you say.

I’ve been told not to criticize myself, publicly perhaps, except I’m a writer...and blogger to boot. This is what I do. Besides, I’m no stranger, nor shy about being honest with myself. Regardless of how others see me, and trust me, others see me a lot better than I see myself, BUT all of this poise and greatness I see in other women, I only admire because I don’t see it in myself.

In no way does this take away from my creativity, my writing abilities and the unique way I see things. I have my moments when I am waaaaaay over the top. But today, in this post, I’m idolizing the elementary school principal who specifically sought me out. I’m thanking the woman who opened her home, took me in, and was upfront and honest with me. I’m remembering the young women who first schooled me about proper etiquette. I’m saluting all my female bosses, and I seriously admire all four of you, for showing me the finer attributes of a real hustle. I’m also calling out titles of books written by women, not only most impressionable to my spirit, but I admire on a very personal level.

Extraordinary, Ordinary People: A Memoir of Family by Condoleezza Rice
Farewell, My Beijing by Chi Newman
Listen to the Squawking Chicken by Elaine Lui
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
The Highest Peak by Kathy Lee Pair
When We Were Colored by Eva Rutland

A leader doesn’t tell me to sit like a princess; she, herself, sits like a princess I want to emulate.

Celebrating Women, 365.

Comments

Popular Posts