In the Eye of the Public

In the spirit of continuing to honor Dr. King's Birthday, here's the link to Beverly Diehl's MLK Blogfest. I plan to spend the evening visiting the other posts, but at least two I've visited so far touched on what they do to help themselves and others learn about diverse cultures; quite warming to read. Overall, I must say the Internet has proved to be a valuable resource to learning about each other. I've certainly noticed a shift in the 'mood' of comments I used to read in various forums, from the mood I've recently encountered.

Social Networks such as Book Blogs, and She Writes, and now World Bloggers are currently my favored online forums to visit. Sharing our perspectives and knowledge is openly welcomed in a mutually respected virtual environment. There are many others out there as well... 2r1nChristOWN: Onyx Woman Network, Super Woman Lifestyle, and too many others to list, that promotes networking that in addition to many pluses, helps us *treat each other better* as we navigate the learning curve to bettering our social manners. Yet, if there is anyone to personally thank for what I see unfolding before us, it would be the site hosts of such unbiased online forums. They are truly the engines behind our new brand of social networking, allowing us to meet members such as Bev Diehl, who I really appreciate for hosting the MLK Blogfest.

...Just wanted to put this piece out there, in lieu of a fairly deep 'offline' exchange I recently had.

'What was going on in the sixties and seventies happened a long time ago, and really things have since changed,' I was told.

I disagreed, by the very evidence just outlined; the evolving Internet and humbling site hosts facilitating our discussions, right here in this present day, to help keep our exchanges civil. 'Look at the way our public figures are treated... musicians, entertainers, and yes sometimes too, even artists. Anyone in the eye of the public,' I countered.

And then I heard what sounded to me like an ah ha, solid piece of proof that we have not advanced in civility as much as we might like to believe. 'Well, anyone in the public eye should expect this...'

Expect what? Regardless of what a private or public individual may have, or may have not done, how do you feel about intentionally treating someone mean because you feel they deserve it? —Incidentally, the subject of my next novel in the Rhapsody Series #5.

It's nothing necessary to comment on here. I actually find it a difficult question to dissect and address myself; but one to keep with us in the continuation of celebrating Dr. King's birthday... and dream.

Again, thanks Bev, and thanks to all the site hosts who keep their forums open to spreading knowledge, and encouraging respectful exchanges and dialogues.

Comments

  1. I'm late arrivint, but finally made it. I think we have made a lot of progress since the 60s. There are still problems, but I think the discussion is much more open than it used to be. Your novel topic sounds interesting. While watching a news segment about a political debate, I wondered about how we treat these forums now. There is heckling, booing, etc. It was a lot different when I was a kid. I'm not sure that this is progress on how we treat people. It seems to be the norm now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacy & thanks for friending me. I definitely have to keep my eye out for your memoir, so I friended you as well.

    And yes, it's challenging to seeing how social forums help in treating each other better... why I listed those forums I applaud. My thought was since biases stem from ignorance, and the Internet (as it currently is) being such a powerful source of knowledge, is what promotes better understandings. Of course though, I would have to post this soon as SOPA (is it?) and PIPA(?) starts talking... very interesting time to say the least.

    Really appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts