...from the Snail Reader


So that I, and others, don't have keep looking over at my to-read list and seeing the same titles post after post, as if I haven't read a book all year long, I've decided it's time for  some book blogging quality control here. Surely this maintenance is long overdue. It totally salts the point of advertising a list that appears I'm ignoring; particularly given all the books I have been reading and posting reviews on elsewhere. I have no ready-made answer for how I let this happen, however rather than getting windy about the matter, I'll labor on with what I've done to fix this riddle.

Below is a list of titles categorized by outlook of when I hope to read the book.

Note: If I've received a review request, but that title isn't listed below, then I either haven't purchased the book, or haven't yet completed my due diligence to see if the book is a subject I'm interested in adding to a list already in need of serious love.

Double the note: I've replaced my to-read list with a list of books I've read this year. Each I do recommend. At least five I expect to be among my top ten reads read this year. They are not in any particular order.

Back to the To-Read List:

Books I've skimmed, and have my fingers crossed really tight that I'll start reading… in the right mood;

Before I Forget by Leonard Pitts Jr.
Church Folk by Michele Andrea Bowen
A Choice to Yield by Laurence Cook

Books I've skimmed, (or started reading), but may add to my library without reading; (It's possible I may one day pick up one of these books to read. And even more possible that one, or more of these books are really good. But……)

Lost In Shanghi-La by Mitchell Zuckoff 
Come on People by Bill Cosby and Alvin F. Poussaint, M.D.
Warriors Don't Cry by Pattillo Beals
Lost Knowledge of the Ancients by Glenn Kreisberg

Books I've not opened and (in some cases) have been on my desk for some time, but I refuse to put aside. I'm convinced a mood will come along, ripe for reading them:

The Agitators Daughter by Sheryll Cashin 
The Undiscovered Paul Robeson by Paul Robeson, Jr.
An Unquiet Mind; A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison
No Disrespect by Sister Souljah
An Unlikely Arrangement by Patty Wiseman
Assata by Assata Shakur
The Last Train from Hiroshima by Charles Pellegrino

Book I started reading, put aside, but look forward to getting back into; (Perhaps I'll pick back up next).

Native Speaker by Chang-Rae Lee (Really good. And really requires some extra good eye-coordination to follow.  Smooth jazzy writing, plus intriguing and quite suspenseful. Now, if only I can get the eye-coordination down pat!)

I'm currently reading...

Fate is the Hunter by Ernest K. Gann (Superb!)

====================================== 

Although I primarily read memoirs, I'll dig into a book of any variety. Storytelling is my primary must. Doesn't have to go over-the-top, in fact I prefer that it doesn't. I am sensitive when reading about children. I'm also a slow reader. When I sink into a book, I really go in, and enjoy going under. Humorous books are highly favored. Chic-lit I just love. I don't mind sex in books. I don't mind lots of sex in books, provided it flows with the story. Short stories I enjoy as well. Poetry I'm hesitant to read. e-Books I do not (as of yet) read. I collect books. Actual books. Physical books. All those I purchase, I add to my library... to showcase. And oh;-) I do not loan out my books.

*Also* and this is most important, I DO NOT ACCEPT gifted books. Please do not send any books. I only read advanced physical copies of books that are a part of Amazon's Vine Program, or as stated above, I will purchase the book.  

Comments

  1. you are a busy girl. how is it that i have not heard of any of the books on your list?

    i too am a slow reader and sensitive to subject matter about children. - see we are related

    i am just getting over a bout of stomach flu so i'm all pooped out - so to speak

    ps. i'm reading "sea of poppies" by amitav ghosh

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Hope you're feeling better... you might have to lay off them heavy crowns (and horns) for a while. (gosh, I get so tickled every time I think of those pics you post!)

    But let me know how's the Sea of Poppies. Saw it was 560 pages, but didn't catch the trim size... hopefully it's 3x3. I'm thinking about trying it. If the trim size is small enough I just might finish it before next Christmas. Does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you crack me up with your book size thing. no, sea of poppies is about 8 x 5. i finished it last night. it was very yummy.

      Delete
    2. 8x5!!! YIKES!!! I'll need a special calendar to figure out how long it'll take me to get through a book that size! wow...

      Delete
  3. That's quite a list! They sound interesting - and I hadn't heard of any of them, either. Good luck with getting through them. (I had heard of Amitav Ghosh!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Helen, and thanks for dropping in. I must admit to spending quite a bit of time digging for 'my mood setters.'

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts