On Page Seventeen


Okay, so I toyed around on that last post, illustrating all them 500+plus words just to emphasize ‘stay focused,’ aka mind our own business. Of course too, writing would hardly be half the fun if we stuck with keeping things short and sweet. I mean, straightforward prose is all well and good, but from time to time crafting challenging content hits the spot too. (Oh, I already see I'ma have to revisit that one).

Here’s the real deal---Our Kids, Tweens, and Teens Best Storytellas in Town contest does not have a single qualifying entry, YET WE HEAR there is a young storytella out there who has the story that will inflate our Eyes, Hearts & Minds! If this is true, PROVE IT, but hurry... Hurry... the contest ends August 31, 2013.

Note: Stories must be at least 500 words; try not to exceed 1000 words. Details Here.

And talking about stretching things out, I might as well go on and add this… something I wanted to post a while back… quoting ‘a given’ section from each one of my books. There’s been some reluctance about doing this, given how the majority of my work is written for adult audiences.

But… but… I was able to pull this off, selecting Pleasure of all anomalies, first. I picked up the book and (sort of) arbitrarily selected the second paragraph, (on page 17) and followed the same suit with “6” other books. …And no need to be alarmed about me this adding this piece beneath our notice looking for young storytellers. I just received Amazon’s Vine letter, which lists household goods, electronics, snacks, adult literature and children’s books all in the same one letter. As the story goes… It’s all Lit.

“Quoting” from page Seventeen.

Pleasure, (Erotic fiction) pub Feb 2011: “Is took me to a place I’m going to call Scandalous, since it’s a term he and his new boys regularly used. It was a small European village pocketed in a hilly mountainous subterranean. A train station, a bar, a poultry shop, a small market, and about a thousand people was all there was to Scandalous. And oh yes, me, Is, and his boys.”

Mindless, (Mystery) pub Aug 2012: “Ta da!” Marilyn fancifully bowed when they reached the office assigned to her. A doorplate had been made for her, embossed in gold letters set on a black slate of marble. It included her middle initial, Angela S. Norton. A pleasing sight, if only it hadn’t been for the faint lettering beneath that no one but her could see. ‘Welcome to your foxhole.’

Double Dare, (Contemporary fiction) pub June 2012: “With only a minute to spare, and on their last leg just as the conductor assumed, they both flew on the train and collapsed into seats, the door sliding close seconds after they boarded.”

Lock Box, (Paranormal mystery) pub Dec 2012: “When I came to I was lying between heaven and hell, I think, soaking up my tenth or eleventh beer. And yeah, yeah, I know I’ve skipped over a whole lot, as how in the hell does anyone have a recollection they are in heaven, or hell, without first having some understanding of getting there, especially if they know they are on their tenth or eleventh beer?”

Pretty Inside Out, (Multicultural fiction) pub Feb 2009: “Zoey though, was musing about the ukulele chiming edge to Marjorie’s voice. Though she always looked as if someone had stolen her lunch, at least her voice wasn’t irritating.”

My Love, (Part 5 of the Rhapsody Series) pub June 2012: “And she didn’t attempt to put the cigarette out when she saw Leiatra’s expression. She had to hiss at her, “would you put that damn cigarette out!”

Tehuelche, (Historical fiction)  pub Nov 2009: “She don’t know what force holds Satan and all his evil infidels back, likely the same force that break open it’s hold on her, but she walk all night without coming into contact with so much as one cold bugger.”

Comments

Popular Posts