A Cursory Look at Reasons for Collecting Books

This post was inspired by a post I caught on Facebook (@BooksonBustle). Recently I’ve come across a number of observations vibing about ‘too’ many books. I’ve as well peeped photos where it is obvious that the owner of said photographed books are challenged by what to do with their overpowering collection of books. I’ve even walked in places furnished by card-tables and cardboard boxes lining barren walls, filled with books.

Now, before I get going...elucidating appropriate ways to view ‘too’ many books, I must point out I respect the perspective of the writer who authored the Book-Bustle post.

Once upon a time I borrowed a practical number of books I could reasonably read within a 2-week borrowing period from public libraries. And if I happened to purchase a book brand new, a rarity prior to 2009, I usually read it...and apparently as I’m now realizing...stored it somewhere out of sight.

But that was then...before reading, writing, blogging, reviewing and publishing books, and recommending my favorite books to inspire reading. All that expressed, and as promised, here’s a sampler list of appropriate ways avid book lovers like myself view ‘too’ many books.

First of all, we must deal with one myth. Just because it is a book we can’t automatically assume it is desirable. The print inside each book is different. Of course, it’s impossible to know this, until the book is actually read... from page one, straight through to the end... something like buying a car. Just because it’s washed and shiny doesn’t mean a thing.

For that reason, many serious readers would rather build our own personal more permanent libraries. There’s no stress over deleted or altered content, or key-codes that stop functioning, or having to return books, some we may not want to part with—EVER—, much less have to deal with late fees and other fines libraries assess because they want their books back.

Also, another less known fact, many books... even best-sellers... can be purchased for under $1, which makes it terribly efficient, economical, laborsaving, smart and all else when considering how to decorate our walls. Filling bookshelves with books tops buying artwork or pricier furnishings to adorn our walls, and it certainly beats leaving walls naked.

Collecting books really is similar to die-heart sports’ fans spending thousands on prime seasons’ tickets, or curators doling out top dollars to collect wine, paintings, baseball cards, antique dolls, tree ornaments, or how about this one... diamonds, gold and rare coins. The one and primary difference I find about books, is books are more valuable, and currently less costly due to the fact that few realize the value of true GEMS.

Happy Book Collecting... and Reading.

Comments

Popular Posts