Baby of the Family

After my experiences moving around the globe, changing careers, and reading and living in general, it occurred to me, (and not for the first time), how young America is, and thus how old I am.

In some ways, thinking about America’s youth is awe-aspiring. To have witnessed so much change, particularly in banking, technology, and of course in writing and publishing among one other major observation, makes me feel like a reservoir of knowledge. And yet, there’s the other side of this trailblazing thing that often has me scratching my head. Coming to the realization that somewhere along making tracks, I seriously lost track of time!

But this is the irony about time and so-called historical events. When you’re young, time moves like molasses. When you hit 30, which I hit twenty times way back when, time moves like cars move around Indy 500 race tracks. Before you know it, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 plus sounds like the same number. But try telling a 20-year-old they’ll catch up, exactly what centurions used to tell me.

At any rate, obviously I was thinking about America’s celebration of its independence from Great Britain and the change our country has seen in 300 and some change years. I mean, 300 years-old sounds a lot different than three centuries old.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -  Thomas Edison

Happy Birthday, America!

Comments

Popular Posts