Re-Gifting the Past

To those who turn their noses up at hand-me-downs and re-gifted presents, you might want to scroll along because this post is for aspiring novelists and writers, and anyone who believes in the wisdom...and value... of 'Old Faithful'.

Short (True) Story

'Old Faithful' is a dated favorite phrase I clipped from my husband. A couple of decades ago my happily-ever-after introduced me to the expression after my daughter and I ventured off buying two new portable 'state-of-the-art' hair dryers. Oh, and let me advertise, these hair dryers I'm referring to had it going on. They were lightweight; weighed about half a pound each. They were economical (like mentioned); we bought two! They also were efficient; that being in the amount of time it's technology dried lots of thick hair. In no more than 20-30 minutes two heads were wet set and dry. Plus, there was no lifting lids and having to shout across the room. And like already described, they were portable; something like iCloud ...everywhere where there's a signal, or in our case, everywhere where batteries worked. 

And so alright and okay, corny humor aside what I'm basically expressing is on the day of purchase these hair dryers quadrupled the efficiency of the older model my mother handed down to me...until one day...something like a few weeks after purchase... our two little handheld bubbling sparklers fizzed out. Kaput. Done. The End. Those two little numbers were finished with drying heads. But at least we hadn't spent much money for them. That was one way of looking at the matter. The other way of summing up things was when my husband walked in the house and looked over at me sitting back beneath the big hand-me-down clunker (that took hours to dry one head of thick hair (a piece)) but still worked! He laughed, "so, I see y'all are back to 'old faithful!'"

I tell this story because 1) I like it. I laugh every time I think of it, and I think of it a lot... especially after doing the math. The two little sparklers might've cost us under 50 bucks. The clunker, on the other hand, probably set my mother back the same amount...given what hair dryers cost back in the day, along with considering inflation and whatnot. But 2) ...the real pearl... is the wisdom in this experience; not one I take for granted, often paralleling it to my writing journey.

For all of those who love writing and look forward to being published...and read...and taken seriously...it will happen for you. No matter what other careers you take on, and you will (and perhaps should) pursue other careers, WRITING is YOUR OLD FAITHFUL!

#HappyWriting #StorytellingRules #TuesdayTales #WritingJourney #JustBlogged

Comments

Popular Posts