"Small Talk"


This is one of these ‘you live and learn’ type posts. Like what did I know? Turns out (for all those not so fond of small talk) there is a legitimate use for small talk.

While writing book blurbs for projects I'm finishing up, trying to sum up 60-70 thousand words in a few sentences, it struck me. I've been looking at small talk all wrong.

Skipping back a step, I'm not a fan of writing long book blurbs; the result of reading so many when scouring for books to read. Long descriptions have the propensity to 'SPOIL' interest. So, I choose not to go that route. Less (in this case) really is more, and not to confuse less with taking the easy road.' It is NOT easy summing 60-thousand-plus words in a few sentences. 

But here's where one & one came together for me. The same approach taken with writing book blurbs can be applied to 'elevator talk'. And I Know. I know. Over the decades I've met some great wordsmith pitchers. They make it look intuitive...until I get home with the maddening headache wishing I said this and done that. This piece of inspiration is for those (like me) looking for 'on the spot' chit-chat that IS meaningful AND sincere, and ALSO..enjoyable, whether things go well, or not so well.

Disclaimer: Please do not try this at home. 

Tiz the season. Wishing for a Christmas miracle. Thanks Hallmark!!!

#StillWriting #Inspiration #JustBlogged

Comments

Popular Posts