Reasons Why History Repeats Itself

This post was inspired by the oddest, most innocuous incident. Lo and behold if someone didn’t let me know (in so many words) one of my book recommendations wasn't all that. Generally I don’t give much thought to things like this, for similar reasons as why I don’t often weigh in on book banning and censorship conversations. After decades navigating this literary maze; sitting through book club discussions, and being a part of author panels, and attending conferences… along with speaking at book fairs and trading thoughts with readers and writers like myself all across the globe...most right here on social media, I couldn’t help but think of the datedness of the topic. After a while you just plain run out of ways to explain 'the high unlikelihood that everyone will like the same book' or that 'banning books is misguided' and 'censorship deceptive'.

And then it dawned on me. When I first embarked on this literary pursuit, I was that same young person trailblazers where looking at and shaking their heads. They had already been up that hill, down the other side, and around mulberry bushes hassling over the same ancient topics. It has yet to fail (like the definition of insanity) that by believing because we’re no longer wearing (or calling) our trousers dungarees, or getting around by horse and buggy, or eating with our feet and toes, or publishing whole books on the side of mountains, our thinking and core human instincts have yet to change.

And I know. I’m revealing nothing new. Every generation confuses ‘material’ innovations that improve inconveniences, with the instinctive human drive to solve (old) problems the same way. Eons have passed and the drive to educate remains as constant as the lust to amuse ourselves in the meantime. 

At any rate, I just finished reading ‘Breaking History’ by Jared Kushner. (Thoughts here).    

#ILoveReading #ReadAnotherGreatMemoir #JustBlogged

Comments

Popular Posts