What is Freedom?

Once upon a time I thought I understood the concept of 'seeking' freedom... which by the way, I'm posing here because it's been a word I keep hearing; most recently while watching the Frederick Douglass documentary on PBS. Must admit it was the first time I heard that version of his story and perspectives. Obviously however, few want to be physically held captive. This type 'freedom seeking' is straightforward and simple to understand. But what other types of freedoms might there be?

So far, I’ve come up with one, the same one embraced in Douglass's documentary. The freedom to think.

This type freedom is nothing to underestimate. Mind control is big business, and for some (perhaps many) a difficult concept to grasp, and yet, none too ironic but interestingly enough, the ONE FREEDOM within the control of each person 'physically' free.

Staying open to learning and reading personal narratives are favorite freedoms conveniently accessible. I make it my mission to share and recommend some really good memoirs I’ve read. And while keeping an open mind requires reasoning and connecting dots, analyzing data is another favorite as well; one of the reasons I admire Frederick Douglass, Booker T. Washington and Condoleezza Rice, in particular. I applaud their stance on educating ourselves for ourselves. I believe this applies to everyone.

#ILoveReading #HonoringBlackHistoryMonth #RememberingAmericanHistory #FREEDOM #JustBlogged 

Comments

Popular Posts