...And Then the Damnedest Happened

The moment I saw it, I knew it. Even whispered it to myself, "this is it."

Looking back, college definitely would have been the easier expedition, but my father said I was going to need experience(s), and I believed him. Like what college was accepting four-year-olds? Translation…I knew I was going to be a writer before I knew myself, and was ready to hit the road right away! 

And so, on the road I went, now decades into a diversity of experiences that has transcended race, color, country, career and culture. Lop on all the reading (and I'm talking line for line, page after page straight to the end of the book type reading)... is what made 'seeing it' so spectacular... and special. 

As it happened to be, for the longest (prior to publishing my first book) I scratched my head trying to figure out what in the heck the book industry meant by "who is your audience?" How do you build an audience without having published a book? At the time I was producing a family newsletter that five years along, ended up criss-crossing the globe. And this was in addition to other (past and prevailing) writing endeavors, to include editing a corporate diversity newsletter serving in the upward numbers of 10,000+ employees. Really, despite my efforts being thrilling to me, applause wasn't what I heard. 

That's when it occurred to me... when the damnedest thing happened... incidentally after ripping and running around looking for 'my' audience. From the day I hit the road a crowd had been gathering. And still, this isn't most noteworthy. 

To All the Novice Writers; passion, practice, and developing our storytelling skills are all important, but STICKING WITH IT is how you build audiences. And then again, writers hardly need this prompt. Like, what else is there to do if we're not writing?

Just read 'Chasing History' by Carl Bernstein. (thoughts here).

#Writing #StillWriting #WritingLessons #WritingLife #Storytelling #Newsletters #JustBlogged

Comments

Popular Posts