The Challenge Between Storytelling and Writing.

Opinions being in the mind of the beholder, and full confession on display here, despite writing giving me headaches and leaving black circles around my eyes, along with my head over heals love for reading memoirs, I do love writing. But here's the thing... and hold on... 'cause here we go.......... 

The reason I love writing is because I love storytelling. Writing, in and of itself, is nothing short of pure eye-blackening WORK... especially when getting the hang of the insufferable techniques that go into writing. Don't be fooled. It is not easy. I mean, writers (in the U.S.) are only working with 26 letters!

The most practiced and skilled HOWEVER, can both tell a story, and write well. Telling a story is as simple as explaining an event...like the time you got lost (in the back seat of your own vehicle)... or aced a job interview (for a job you didn't even want)...  or conquered a country (in your head). I may be the biggest sucker for these type stories. I search high and low for them. That's why I read memoirs. To date I have yet to read the same story twice. And yet, here's the other thing...

So few are doing both well. That being both storytelling and writing, to include me. I'm over here practicing to write the ultimate masterpiece. And others...

Well, last month, funneling into this month, might best describe this trope. These past few weeks has been the worst reading slump I can recall in decades. Well, actually I'm understating the desert I encountered. A quick glance at the very bottom row of books on one of my bookshelves emphatically screamed nothing even closely compares to my recent reading struggles. I can count on one hand using no fingers how many times I have forced myself to read books not singing to me. 

LOOK! Full confession. I admit it. I'm a storytelling fanatic. My patience is short, and attention span not incredibly long. If the first few pages remind me of reading a poetic encyclopedia, I'll close that book quick... well all except for this time around. Oh no, this time around I did what I never do; trusting, hoping, praying that one of the dozen (or more) books I struggled to read was going to flip my downright discombobulated mood around and be 'the one' I could tout. Gosh, that hurt! And ticked me off too.

But I don't like disparaging anyone's work. After all, I am a writer. Aside from knowing the effort that goes into writing full-length stories, I also know just because I'm not hearing the music doesn't mean everyone is as tone deaf. Also, there were salvageable notes to channel. Aside from these books being completed, and published, and lauded I eventually did come upon a book I could read... and DID (IN FACT) FINISH. 'Little Failure' a memoir by Gary Shteyngart. Hahahahaha...(thoughts here). 

#Storytelling #SolidStorytellingSells #ILoveStorytelling #JusttheStoryPlease #JustBlogged

Comments

Popular Posts