Who's Got Natural Writing Moxie?

This post is inspired by my recent visit to Temple University for the Celebration of Black Writing.

I was on my way home when I got to ‘really’ thinking about what makes my books, and writing, so unique. It’s that same stuff I look for when I’m on the hunt for new reading material.

I’m looking for the author, or book let’s stick in here, that can bring it on its own terms! Who can write that book… spit-shining things up themselves…minus the jaded naysayers, writing patrol mojo player-haters and red pen bookslayers… and PUT IT OUT THERE… convincing readers I’ve got natural writing chutzpahAND ('cause this is most important) ...that that story, word for word, page after page match this howl, harmonizing like Mahalia or Patti?

Who? Who can do that? Where's that book? I want to read it! [Note: I've got love for all books, but just have my eyes open extra wider for someone who's doing what I'm doing.]

And then wouldn’t it be, just as I was thinking on this that Sly & the Family Stone would hop on the radio playing Thank You! Awww… you know it; I was there... Right There!

Now let me put a spin on the authors I met at Temple-U.

CP Patrick, author from the DC Metro area wrote The Truth About Awiti…a mid-15th-century Africa to 21st-century New Orleans historical fantasy book that the more I think about it, I want to read. I’ve heard about those tropical storms and hurricanes sifting off the coast of West Africa purportedly carrying the souls and spirits of our ancestors.

I’m really interested in Elaine Jones’ book, Aunt Donsy’s Trunk. This is the story of Elaine’s family piecing together their family history after musing on an old steamer trunk that had been used as a coffee table in one of the family member’s homes.

And Woot… Woot! Al Hunter Jr.’s book Thou Shalt Not Steal I went right out and bought. Wished I could have supported the author on the spot, except for quirky reasons too murky to explain I didn’t go to the conference prepared to buy books. But after speaking with the author I was sold on Bill “Ready” Cash’s story; a ballplayer with a nasty arm and powerhouse catcher for the Philadelphia Stars of the Negro Leagues from 1943 to 1950.

Alice Wootson wrote, among many other books...I think I saw over 15 titles displayed.. the Perfect Wedding; a title that caught my attention, and then interest after the author’s narration.

And I loved the cover of Ayana D. Byrd and Lori L. Tarps’ book, Hair Story. Speaking for myself I think I know all I want to know about our tangled hair story, but would love to frame that cover. Talk about a moving story without words. The whole story is right there on the cover. Beautiful.

And Rayna Gray, author of 7:17… Thank You for writing a page-turner. The book is short, however it was only a fraction of what contributed to my page-turning experience. As expressed to the author, many of us have similar hard life experiences. Rayna just shared her traumatic life event in a raw, upfront, silky smooth bringing it way.

Comments

Popular Posts