More Than Words

Every time I pick up a book to read, (which YAHOO, I just finished reading THREE!), one of the first things I look for is the depth of insight of the writing. I’m looking for vision. I want the story to be going somewhere with purpose, on purpose…even if the story is as hilarious and silly as all get out.

Now depth and insight and vision and purpose, for the most part, are mere words…until meaning is applied. For instance, when someone is applauded for graduating from a university or college, the first thing that comes to mind are banks in crisis, struggling businesses and the fact that there is still no cure for cancer. I think many will truly celebrate, and may even want to read the story behind the graduate, or person, who fixes these conundrums. And believe me, I am as picky about what I read, as what I write; probably ten times harder on myself. I can’t count how many stories I’ve recycled after getting 70-80,000 words in and finding no love (or hope) for the content. The point. Our work must have a focus, a point.

Books should be more than mere words. I can’t help but chuckle when I read captions teasing those who ‘so-call’ hoard books, as if every book contains the same content. This point might be easier grasped if books were looked at like wrapped presents. That’s right. Until the book is opened, and read, the reader will NOT know what’s inside. Most people don’t discard presents, without first knowing what’s inside, especially if there’s the possibility a diamond worth millions might be inside. True story…(one many may have heard)…about the woman who opened a book to find JFK’s signature inside. Not exactly a reason to ‘collect’ books, and not that JFK’s signature was worth millions in that instance, but she did get $3000 for the book! All to note, when I open books and find gems inside, I keep the gift. It’s that simple. 

At any rate, and in step with honoring the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday—a man with great vision and purpose—I just finished reading Memorial Drive by Natasha Trethewey, My Vanishing Country by Bakari Sellers, and Giving Away Simone by Jan L. Waldron. All three memoirs; my thoughts here, here and here, represent why I put so much effort into finding genuine stories to read and recommend.

In the words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and why I stay committed to what I do; “If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.”

#MLKHoliday #Read3GreatMemoirs #ILoveMemoirs #StillWriting #JustBlogged

Comments

Popular Posts