What Makes a Memoir Really Good!

I've been reading memoirs since the 70's. Now, prior to the 90's I don't recall hearing the term memoir. Biography sections was where memoirs were shelved, or in sub-categories such as sports, crime, entertainment ...and the African American section where this category included all subjects.  There was no Internet (as it is today), and very few bookstores, so the library was my best friend. 

But until the Internet, and finally Amazon, I was checking out a half dozen books a week praying writers would write more books, faster. And No! I hadn't read all those books I checked out. I'd skim each until I came to one I couldn't close. This is how I've found the number one aspect that makes a memoir (or any book for that matter) 'uncloseable'.

Plain 'ole STORYTELLING. You know... the this happened, then that happened, then this happened. 

Regular plain language helps too. For instance, if someone asks what was your first date like, whether you exaggerate, straight out lie or simply state what went down to the best of your recollection, you wouldn't include the percentage of people dating at any given time...or what dating was like in an era when you weren't even born. Most people just tell the story in everyday language.

At any rate, February is Black History Month and I'm looking for some really good memoirs. Gratefully I came upon a few interesting documentaries on C-SPAN TV. Abdi Iftin and Boyah Farah (natives of Somalia) gave a pretty good 'sneak peek' expose of their experiences moving to America. And there was Vince Everett Ellison, who while I don't recall the compelling particular that made me stop what I was doing to make note of his book, the fact that I made this note is reason enough to check out his work. Charlayne Hunter-Gault however, I recall her interview with clarity. She stressed something I've been blogging about (and advocating) for years.

Read My People Read. Read about your history, and read about the experiences of others. It is the single most important activity we ALL can do in the interest of serving humanity.  

Celebrating Memoirs and Black History Month - 365. 

Comments

Popular Posts