I can’t count the number of reading advocates springing up everywhere posting reading and writing inspiration I respect. One of my favorites are reading lists presented in categories; 100 Books that will have your brows glued to the ceiling, or 100 Books that will have you crying the ugly face… or laughing your B-Hind off, or that other other one, among 101 plenty of others… 100 Books You Should Read Before You Die.
Not that I agree with many of the books on these lists, or some of the categories for that matter, I do however agree with reading advocates making it easier to find books hard to put down. So, thank you Bookstr, and Book Worms, and For Reading Addicts, and Book-Lovers on the Bustle, and of course Book Riot, along with anyone else “fighting the good fight” to motivate reading. I’m so moved by all this literary spirit that I decided to publish a BIG READING LIST of my own.
Of the many, Many, MANY memoirs I’ve read, listed below are 100 of the most deeply satisfying and rewarding memoirs read to date.
1. 90 Minutes in Heaven: A True Story of Death and Life by Don Piper
2. A Bridge Between by Velia Pola
3. A Country Called Nigeria by Robert Siller Jr.
4. A Lawyer's Life by Johnnie Cochran
5. A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley
6. A Nation of Wusses by Ed Rendell
7. All Souls: A Family Story from Southie by Michael Patrick MacDonald
8. And So It Goes by Charles J. Shields (Biography)
9. Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
10. At Home on the Steppe by Janet Givens
11. Between You & Me by Mike Wallace
12. Big Little Man by Alex Tizon
13. Black Man in a White Coat by Damon Tweedy
14. Brother, I'm Dying by Edwidge Danticat
15. Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter by Adeline Yen Mah
16. Crawling: A Father's First Year by Elisha Cooper
17. Desperate to be a Housewife by Meg Bortin
18. Diary of a Beverly Hills Matchmaker by Marla Martenson
19. Doing Germany by Agnieszka Paletta
20. Don’t Block the Blessings by Patti LaBelle
21. Etched in My Memory: Stories from Life of a Former Soviet Invalid of the Fifth Line by Sol Tetelbaum
22. Every Little Step by Bobby Brown
23. Extraordinary, Ordinary People: A Memoir of Family by Condoleezza Rice
24. Eye to the Sky: Storytelling on the Edge of Magic by Bobby Norfolk
25. Family Matters And More: Stories Of My Life In Soviet Russia by Sol Tetelbaum
26. Farewell, My Beijing by Chi Newman
27. Fate is the Hunter by Ernest K. Gann
28. Foxy: My Life in Three Acts by Pam Grier
29. from ashes to africa by Josh and Amy Bottomly
30. Funny In Farsi: A Memoir Of Growing Up Iranian In America by Firoozeh Dumas